It has been a very long time since my last blog post, so here is a quick update on the mission trip I was on to Camp Penuel in Ironton, Missouri with our high school youth group from Christ Memorial Church.
62 High School Students
25 Adult leaders/volunteers
1 Greyhound Bus
1 15 Passenger Van
2 12 Passenger Vans
1 Work truck with a Trailer
3 Weed whackers
2 orders of 90 Jimmy Johns Subs
Countless laughs, smiles, and memories made.
Worksites during the day from Monday through Thursday included:
Food and Kitchen Prep
Cement Prep and Laying
Every one of our high school students had the opportunity to work 2 days, interact with the campers at Camp Penuel and serve meals at the camp for 1 day, and then go off-campus 1 day to the Johnson Shut-ins and Elephant Rocks State Parks.
It was an absolutely amazing trip for these reasons:
- the high school students and leaders worked so hard in the 100+ degree heat
- we were able to see the difference we made with the work projects
- watching our high school students interact and love on the Camp Penuel campers
- having campfire conversations every night with 87 people
- waking up students at 6am so they could have quiet time devotions on their own
- physically seeing the spiritual growth and transformation of numerous students in how they interacted with others and hearing their conversations
- the numerous hilarious quotes that were said throughout the week
Memories were made, authentic community was formed, numerous laughs were shared, faith was deepened and lives were transformed. Cheers to God!